Thursday, August 11, 2011

Caught the rascals!

(Buddies on a friend's porch)
          I heard this loud noise coming from the living room window, where the front yard garden lays. I got up from my computer in the back room and walked slowly to get a better listen. I saw my Golden's ears perk up as she let out a small growl. Then half way to the living room a sharp meow came from the same window, then another, and then low deep meows. I knew what it was! My cat was facing off with another cat outside ! The neighborhood bullies had returned!! My Golden lives for these moments! She looked up at me and we ran to the front door. She knew in two seconds I would open the door and let her rescue our beloved Mercy. Amazingly, she always knows which cats to chase. I've seen it a dozen times! Grace charges with her tail wagging and cats take off in every direction, as Mercy sits and admires her hero.  
(Mercy)
          I couldn't reach the front door fast enough for Grace. She was barking and stomping her front paws, as I approached. As I opened the door I was met with a sharp sound, "AHHH!! THE ALARM!!!!", at the same moment my Basset Hound decides he wants to save Mercy too, so both dogs step on my toes, push me aside (almost making me fall) and run down the street at 110mph. I catch the swinging front door before it hits the wall and hurry to turn off the alarm. At that moment panic hits me and I whisper a little prayer,"Jesus, please don't let a car hit them!"  I grab the phone (so I can answer when the security people call about the triggered alarm), and make my way outside, shouting, "GRACE! WINSTON! COME NOW!!" They are at least 4 houses down by now, so I keep calling them with more and more authority, as my anxiety rises. What happened to saving Mercy?!?!?
(Buddies)
          Finally, Grace decides she will come back and heads to the house, like she always does, but half way she sees Winston jet across the street, and she changes her mind about going inside. I belt out a firm, "GRACE! INSIDE! NOW!!!!!!" and she finally stops in her tracks and I grab her collar and drag her in and shut the door. What on earth had gotten into my once obedient, gentle Golden? Was she that easily given to peer pressure and the bad behavior of another dog? Geez! 
(Grace)
         Now that Grace was in, all my attention focused on Winston. You'd think since he's a basset, that he'd be super slow, but no way! That little guy is fast! The only hope I had to catching him was waiting till he stopped to sniff something, then pounce on him. His nose finally lead him to my next door neighbor's garden, which was an act of God, no doubt. My heart was relieved. I reached down deep and pulled out the firmest voice I could and said, "WINSTON! SIT!" and he looked at me, dropped his head low in shame and sat. I grabbed his loosely fitted collar and pulled him inside, where he was excitedly met by Grace who was still high from her midnight run down the street.
(Winston)
          I flopped on the sofa and watched the dogs jump all over each other, they were obviously to wound up for bed now. I couldn't help but laugh as I watched them play, I mean, all this just to save my poor cat from the neighborhood bullies! I wonder if Mercy knows how special she is, her two buddies, Winston and Grace, so willing and excited to save her (haha). 
(Mercy rubbing her head on Grace's chest, like she does every single day when she comes inside. Grace usually licks her ears, but is to focused on treats in this picture.)

1 comment:

joanna :) said...

Great story. Funny everytime I read it.