Thursday, August 25, 2011

Coming back to what matters

“A farmer went out to sow his seed.  As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.  Whoever has ears, let them hear.” 
-Matthew 13:2-9 NIV

“Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path.  The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.  But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.  But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
- Matthew 13:18-23 NIV

         I want to focus this blog on, "the seed falling among the thorns". The Word of God says this, "refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful." How many of you have worries about life? I know I do sometimes! Our worries leave us open to deceitfulness, because we start looking for worldly things to meet our needs. I'd like to encourage you to, "come back to what matters". That's how the Lord spoke it to me. Most of us start out fine and balanced, but as time goes on the thrones grow in around us, we begin to choke. In these seasons, when we are grasping for air, we need to recognize the root of our suffocation and struggle - (root: worry, the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth.)

       I was inspired to write this because of my own struggles lately.  I began feeling like the worries of life were choking out the good seeds that had been sown.  Worries about money, weight, family...just LIFE. I found myself not being as fruitful as I wanted to be. The Lord spoke to me using these verses and I'm passing them on to you. If we don't cut/pull worry from our life, it will grow up, and choke every good, perfect and beautiful thing the Lord is growing in us- just like a garden taken over by weeds.

       How is wealth deceitful?  Wealth is deceitful because it keeps us craving more. We believe if we acquire just a little bit more we'll be okay, but once we reach that goal, we want more...on and on the cycle goes. Before we know it we are worshiping money and NOT God. The truth is if we focus on God, God will take care of our LIFE.  

       I feel like I was tested  and held accountable by the Lord with this very thing this week, "the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth" began choking the word in my heart. I feel blessed to have such a relationship with God, that I still hear and recognize His red flags in my life. I pray that never changes. I never want to be taken over by thorns. 

       Since the Lord brought this to my attention, I've fixed my eyes back on Him (right where they belong), and I'm healing from the emotional roller coaster the enemy took me on and my heart is coming back to what matters most - my dependency and trust in God. 

       I want to be good soil for God's word, so I will produce a crop as the Bible says.

No comments: