Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"My truth"

   The new age saying, "My truth" is becoming more mainstream and gaining momentum as more people begin to incorporate it in their every day lives. "You follow your truth and I'll follow my truth". Even Christians are beginning to include this phrase in their conversation, "That's your truth, not mine".
    As a Christian what is "my truth", anyway? If you are a Bible believing, Jesus following, Christian then Jesus is your truth. He said it himself in John 14:6 NIV, "I am the way and the truth and the life." 
   He didn't merely say He taught truth, but that He is truth. Jesus makes many bold claims throughout the Bible, this is why the leaders of the day were so upset. I'm sure they wouldn't have minded Him so much if He simply said "I share truth", or left it at, "I follow truth", but He didn't. He said, "I am...". He was calling Himself God and they knew it. It infuriated them to the point of wanting Him dead. 
   We are faced with the same Jesus today. He is saying to us, "I am the way and the truth and the life." There is no other way, truth or life. He's either "my truth" or He isn't. He didn't leave it open for compromise. His radical claims force us to make a choice. 
    As a Christian "my truth" is based on the one who calls Himself "truth". If "my truth" adds up to anything other than Jesus then "my truth" is sadly being used as justification for "my deception". Your truth, my truth, their truth, none of it matters in the end. What matters is if we embraced THE TRUTH, Jesus.

No comments: