Monday, May 19, 2014

House Hunting Testimony

           My hubby and I have many testimonies that I want to slowly start sharing to edify and encourage whoever may read.  I know that during my seasons of brokenness I clung to such testimonies. A testimony says, "If God can do it for me, He can do it for you" because He is not a respecter of persons - He doesn't play favorites. I will start with the testimony I shared this weekend with the young couple visiting us (as mentioned in the post before). 
          After my hubby and I had been married a year our apartment rent went up. Fear and anxiety filled my heart as I read the slip of paper listing our options for renewal. What were we going to do? None of the options listed were going to work for us. My husband and I began searching for another apartment, but nothing - every door kept closing. We knew God could speak to us and continued to pray and started planning a time to fast. Fasting as always been a powerful spiritual weapon for us.
        When my hubby first moved out of his family home he faced the same situation and called out to the Lord, who spoke to him in a dream, speaking the name of the apartment three times. Being a dreamer my hubby knew to obey and went to the apartment offices. They were having a special. It was perfect. He happily lived there for several years. God led him to the right place at the right time! So, we knew He could do it again. 
         I forget how the idea of looking for a house came to play but we began talking about it. We called several lenders but the phone would get disconnected or they wouldn't answer until finally the third one we called picked up right away. With all we've been through we know not to question God, we figured we weren't meant to talk to the other lenders. Our lender ended up crediting us a couple thousand for closing costs. Yay! But I'm getting ahead of myself.
        We got pre-approved by our lender and got a realtor. I was so stressed out a patch of my hair started falling out. I have pictures if you want to see the bald patch that was hiding under my long hair. We continued to pray. We had to find a house before our lease was up. 
       After talking with our realtor, she lined up some houses for us to see. As hubby and I walked to our car to meet our realtor to look at houses for the first time, I receive a call from an unknown number. While pulling out I play the voice mail and it's a man. The man tells us he's a prophet and for us not to worry because God is going to provide for us. OMGOSH! Are you kidding me? We are in the car about to go see houses for the first time and we get this call?!?! Through the stress and fear we had a super natural peace. God is with us! We are heading in the right direction! Thank you Daddy for looking after us. 
           Shortly after we started house hunting we found one that seemed to fit our needs, but I was not thrilled about it. Hubby was insistent so I agreed and went with it and we put an offer. We prayed and asked God to open or close doors according to His will. I didn't want the house but knew we needed it. I asked God to give us clarity. I told God my emotions are to rapped up in the situation and I couldn't trust myself to hear Him. Hubby agreed and we prayed that God would reveal the truth to someone who was out of the loop. Someone who had no idea what was going on with us. He did.             
       While waiting to see if our offer was accepted hubby gets a phone call from a friend who didn't know what we were up too. His friend said he had a dream and I didn't like the house we were dealing with. I see hubby's face get sad as he's on the phone listening to the dream and my heart sinks when I hear. I know it's true. I tried to deny my negative feelings about the house because we were in desperate need of a house. We agree to let it go in our hearts since our prayers were answered. Our friend found it fascinating because he never dreams. God used someone who least expected it. A few minutes later we get a call from our realtor and our offer wasn't accepted. Turns out the lady doesn't even want to sell her house anymore.  We continue to pray and encourage one another with the divine phone call we received when we first started the house hunting journey. 
         Shortly after we find another house we want to put an offer on, but first we wait it out and pray it out for another day. My dad calls us the next morning and says he was tossing and turning all night. He couldn't sleep because he was conflicted and didn't have peace about this decision we were about to make. God has spoken to my Dad in dreams before so we respected what he said and heeded the warning. Especially since we were passionately praying for God's direction. Come to find out the house had major foundation issues. Again, God was leading us when our emotions hindered us from hearing.
          The searching continued and the end of our lease continued to get closer. To add to the stress, the apartment sent us a letter saying they were painting our stair railing the day we were moving out from the third floor. Can you imagine trying to move furniture down with wet paint? I was freaking out, BUT God - they changed the date!
       There was one house we looked at early on that hubby said he couldn't get out of his mind, but because of the natural wood floors and other things we passed it up. We decided to look at it again with fresh eyes and a fresh heart. Hubby said that was the house, something in him just knew, but we move forward slowly. We even decided to walk away from it. Hubby said he felt a ripping in his spirit when we walked away and was  grieved all night and prayed continuously. When he finally fell asleep he had a dream. In the dream he walks into an office and sees balloons and party decor with a huge banner that says "Case Closed". When he woke up we knew the house was ours. It was a done deal. 
          The sellers ended up calling us and giving us what we wanted. Come to find out the house was on sale for 20k more the year before and someone was interested but it fell through on the buyers end. The seller wanted to hurry and sell and dropped the price, making it within our budget. As we finished up the deal our lender credited us to help with closing. 
       As for the natural untouched wood floors, hubby's coworker volunteered to refinish them for us as a gift. We ended up getting the keys to our house the day we were to be out of the apartment. We had the uhaul packed and ready. And the new season began. 

No comments: