Friday, July 19, 2013

Parenting Goals

     I'm not a mother, yet. But I already love my future children. I find myself praying for them and blessing them in my quiet time. I've gotten several dreams about the names of two of my children. I'm sure other women have experienced this. The Holy Spirit has really been working in me and speaking to me about what it means to be a parent and challenging me to really think about what His goals are.
    I've been jotting down notes here and there about my hopes and dreams for my children and how He wants me to raise them. 
   
Some of my notes are as such (this is a rough list):


-Help my kids develop mentally, emotionally and spiritually

-Add no emotional trauma

- look into their eyes and truly see them, everyday

-cherish the moments and never forget this is the good old days

-To be a safe place where issues are healed not covered or exploited

-teach them to think for themselves and to be assertive

-Leaders not followers, yet respectful of authority

-Routine is resistance to wonder. Encourage my child’s sense of wonder.

-Recognize my children’s gifts, talents and joys and help them sharpen and peruse them

-Above all teach my children to love God, love others and reach out.
 
    What are or were some of your goals for you and your children? I want to pray over this list and edited as the Lord leads, then hang it on my mirror or in my office and read it every morning. I guess my list is more about myself - reminding me not to control them or forget them, but truly see them and enjoy them, and help them grow into all God created them to be. I don't want to be swept away and never truly be present.  :-)

No comments: