Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Shareing the Wealth

    Politics! I don't follow a donkey or an elephant but a LION! I have yet to see a president that represents what I believe the Bible says. There are issues on both sides that I agree and disagree with, but one of the biggest things that gets on my nervs is when Republicans/Christians get heated over the idea of "sharing the wealth".  Now I'm not saying the Democrats would execute this idea in a productive way that would do as much good as it could, but the concept IF done right is Biblical. The thing is it can't be a government forced issue, it needs to be from a transformed heart willing to give. It needs to come from the church.
      We as Christians should be paying for people's health care, food, schooling, and more! I know some don't agree but it's in the Bible. I know many Christians give to other countries and that's great, but we are called to give to those that live among us as well. I feel like so much of our money goes over seas that our own people go without. Read the book of Acts, it shows us what the church should look like.
      "Everyone around was in awe—all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met" - Acts 2:42-47 THE MESSAGE
     So this entitled attitude from Republican Christians that say people should work hard and do everything on their own is false. We are called to share the wealth! I know this angers many Republicans, but truly, sharing the wealth is a Biblical concept. The problem is here in America we are so used to having our own of everything. "This is my house, my car, my vacation, my college tuition, my health insurance, my family...etc" We've created a little world that's perfect and many of us feel self-righteous about it.
    I did recently come across a Christian health care plan called "MedShare" where Christians come together to pay each others health care bills. Now, I have not researched this company but IF it is what it advertises then that's awesome! Because God's called us to share our wealth! Blessed to be a blessing does not mean just feeding orphans overseas. It means paying for your neighbor's broken down car so he can go to work, it means helping someone out of debt they were forced into to feed their family, paying for an unexpected surgery, offering to bring someone groceries or filling their tank with gas. Pooling our resources so that each person's needs are met! (I'm preaching to myself too).
    Another reason why we see very little of this "sharing the wealth" from today's Christians is because we've all created lives for ourselves that we can not afford. When is enough, enough? My friend's husband got a huge raise at work and now her family is making almost 100k a year. Instead of being happy she said, "If only I could make 1k a month more, THEN we could bless people." Are you kidding me? Sadly this is the state of many wealthy Christians in America. We think God's provision means we will live like Hollywood celebrities, when in fact we are already more wealthy then most people.
      Our ideas of prosperity are twisted. God does not give us more money to buy more STUFF. He gives us more money to give it away and bless others. *think about that* :-)

No comments: