Thursday, January 23, 2014

True colors

          I often have to encourage myself that even if sharing who I am is weird, it's me. And the faster people see who I really am in Christ, the faster I can sort through those who like or dislike me. When we hold back who we are it's the same as putting on a fake image. I never looked at it that way. I just thought since I had been hurt I'm more careful and reserved. But whether we are putting on a fake face, or simple not revealing our true face it's the same. The heart is different but the lack of authenticity is the same. Anytime we lack authenticity we attract the wrong types of people. Then we wonder why we don't fit in. We don't fit in because our lack of self exposure hasn't allowed those who would have enjoy our company to know we even exist. Think of mixing colors. This is how I see it.

Say we put up half our face:
      We go through life showing everyone half of who we are because we are insecure and scare of rejection. So no one ever knows we aren't really red. Yet all we are showing is red, so everyone attracted to a red personality is draw to us. We don't understand why because in our hearts we are not red. Red is just the small part we are willing to show, perhaps because it's more acceptable and celebrated.
       Eventually we get tired of this. We begin working up the courage to show our whole self. We want to be authentic no matter the cost. So we open ourselves up and share. Instead of simply showing the red side we show our blue side too. The side we feel insecure with: 


+

  

=

       When we are authentic and show our whole selves. We realize we are not red or blue, but purple. We can not function revealing only half of who God created us to be. When we are whole we are purple. That's who we are.
       All those attracted to just red or just blue begin falling away from our lives. It may make us feel lonely for a season, but soon those who love purple see us and start drawing near. They never knew we had so much in common because we only shared in part.


          It's important to show our true colors as much as possible. Only then will we feel satisfied and fulfilled in life. When we only reveal small glimpses of who we are it's the same as wearing a mask. Those we are supposed to be connected with don't recognize us, and those who do recognize us see the wrong color.
         Many of us hide our true colors because we've been hurt. It's not some scandalous plot to trick people. It's more about self-preservation and healing. And at first hiding away feels good and safe, but trust me, eventually you will be frustrated and annoyed. It wont matter what rejection you face because being true to who God created you to be is more important than rejections sting. Your heart will cry out, "I rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not." The more authentic and vulnerable you are the more chances there are to be hurt, BUT the more chances the right people will find you. 
          Slowly you will be embraced by a community that loves, embraces and celebrates ALL God created you to be.  But first you must show your true colors no matter the cost.

No comments: