Saturday, July 23, 2011

Walking the Trails

        (The trail, sky, and bayou in the evening! It's beautiful!!! ) 

       I absolutely love walking the trails in the evening with my best friend & fiance, Newman! I love everything about it! I love the bayou, different size turtles, random deer sightings, the occasional rabbits, the green bridge, the painted sky above and most of all I LOVE the people we meet!!! Yes, the people are my absolute favorite!

          ( Newman and Winston on the green bridge over the bayou)

     You see, Newman and I walk Winston (a basset hound).  It is pretty incredible how walking a dog can start so many conversations with random people. We've met all sorts of people and a variety of dog breeds. It's so much fun chit-chatting with someone new! Just tonight, we met a preppy older woman with salt-pepper hair, a fitted hot pink Ralph Lauren polo that glowed on her sun kissed skin, pretty white sandals and perfectly manicured toenails. Her eyes met ours as we approached coming the opposite way on the trail. I think she noticed Winston's excitement over her tiny white fluff-ball of a dog, even though we were still a good ways away. When we finally got close, we asked if Winston could "say hi" to her dog. We ask just to make sure the dog's owner is okay with the dogs interacting. (Most owners happily approve, but some pass on the offer because of their dogs anti-social behavior.) When she approved, the dogs played a little and we got to talk with her about her dog and her latest vet visit. Of course, Winston charmed her by rolling at her feet - being the usual flirt.

 ( Winston (bottom) and his new friend Harley (top). We've run into Harley and his owners many times on the trail. Such a nice couple, and really sweet dog)

     These moments fill my heart with joy, because everyone seems happy. There's laughter, smiles and energized conversation. This lady is just one example of many I could give since we meet all sorts of people on each and every walk we go. Winston seems to be making friends as well, especially with the dogs we see on a regular basis.  Most importantly, we are building relationships outside of anything connected to our daily lives. I can't wait to see what God does.

 (Another cell phone picture of the beautifully painted sky we see on the trails. This is why we prefer to go in the evenings)

     Anyway, most ministry starts with relationship, and I love making relationships outside of church. Who are you being friendly to today? A simple smile can begin to build a bridge into someone's heart and eventually change their lives forever. I've found that walking a dog has opened many doors for new relationships. What do you have? Maybe a baby? An interesting job title? Your clothes? I've learned anything and everything can be used to glorify God if we let it. I know my curly hair has started many conversations with random people. The weirdest things can knock down walls and make people feel safe in approaching someone new. Pay attention to what draws people in, then do it on purpose :) :)
     Well, I can't wait to see who else we meet on the trails. It really is the highlight in my day in this season.

 (The back-end of the trail at the heat of the day! It's not so nice at this time, and almost impossible to enjoy with the heat, not to mention the drought! The bayou is almost empty and the turtles have moved on.)

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Love this. Loving meeting and talking to random people. It's amazing how God brings people in our lives through anything. :)