Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spiritual Gift Assessment tests

Most people who have been involved in church for any length of time have come across spiritual gifting assessment tests. These tests ask a list of questions in hopes to identify your biblical spiritual gifts. Being a psychology student, I’ve always enjoyed the tests because I enjoy personalities and understanding why people do what they do.
Over the years, I have noticed how different spiritual gifts can indeed cause a person to have specific characteristics and these characteristics can be identified at times through these tests. It's very fascinating. Even with myself, I see how certain gifts affect my personality and things I enjoy and so forth. But what worries me about these tests is when people expect them to be 100% accurate, when they allow the test to be the deciding factor instead of God.
We must remember that God is the giver of all gifts. He alone chooses whoever He wants and how many times has God chosen someone who fit the part?? 

Our weaknesses are not off limits to God, and we are not always able to see what He sees in ourselves and in others. Many times the things God wants us to do are the very things we think we can't do.
Though I've taken many spiritual gifting tests over the years, I didn’t find out my spiritual gifts through a test. I found them out through desperation. I felt left out and left behind and I began crying out to the Lord. I wanted Him to show me what He had deposited in me and He answered me in a dream. But even now at 24, God is still sharing pieces to the puzzle with me about what He wants me to do for Him. 

It is a process and one man made test just doesn’t cover it all. God is wonderful at making something beautiful out of our insecurities and doing great things through people who aren't so great. So trust God and know that when and where we are weak, He surely is strong!

God is the giver and He will show you!

No comments: